It’s time to let sparks fly and discover the romantic side of Christchurch. Whether it’s an anniversary, birthday or a little bit of extra couple time, Christchurch provides is the perfect backdrop for your next romantic retreat.
Here’s our Top 5 Ways To Spend A Romantic Weekend Getaway In Christchurch.
1# Picnic at Port Hills
Nothing is more romantic than a picnic – spectacular scenery, a gourmet hamper full of cheese and sweet treats, a bottle of the finest Canterbury wine and take your pick of spots at the top of Mt Cavendish. Bask in the last of those summer days, take in those panoramic views and clink “to love!”
2# Punting on the Avon
When a ride along the Venice Canals isn’t an option, here’s the next best thing. Enjoy a leisurely 30 minute ride along the Avon River, accompanied by the tranquil commentary of your Edwardian attired guide. Sit back, relax and enjoy passing views Christchurch’s most charming spots and landmarks, including the Christchurch Botanic Gardens and Worcester Street Bridge.
3# Wine Tasting Pegasus Bay Winery
Wine aficionados or not, a trip to Christchurch calls for a wine tasting session at the Pegasus Bay Cellar Door. Sample a selection of flagship ‘reserve’ wine from the Waipara Valley, while your host talks you through the origins of the wine and tasting notes. Better yet, extend your visit with a long lunch at the award winning Pegasus Bar Restaurant.
4# American Express Open Air Cinema
Starry eyed and starry skies, just like during the good ol’ days you can watch a flick at an outdoor cinema. For the whole month of March, the American Express Openair is in session. The movie line up includes both well-loved classics and new releases (including some 2019 Oscar Winners!). Add an additional touch of comfort and snugness with blankets and loungers available for hire- perfect for those chilly nights.
5# Foodie Crawl
Social Wine Bar
The rebirth of Christchurch City has proved to be heaven for foodies! With an abundance of options to choose from, we recommend heading on a night out and putting a few restaurants and bars to the taste test.
Here’s our top recommendations:
- From the old time classics to the bartender’s signature cocktails, Social Wine Bar is one of Christchurch’s best kept secret for a cheeky pre-dinner drink. If you’re a lover of mixology magic – prepare to be wowed!
- Balmy nights call for Frosé and you really ought to try Amazonita’s signature strawberry or peach versions. Feeling a bit peckish? Be sure to stay for food and try their “melt in your mouth” Beef Cheek Parapdelle.
- Sharing is caring! While we don’t always want to surrender a bite of your order, to tackle Universio’s signature “Beast Board” you’ll surely need a helping hand (or mouth). This platter is Christchurch Famous and not to be missed!
- While New Regent Street hosts an abundance of delicious spots, Twenty Seven Steps is certainly a winner when it comes cuisine. Diets go out the window when you lay eyes on the Butterscotch and Walnut Brownie from their dessert menu…
- If you’re looking for a dining experience a bit out of the ordinary, head to Retropolitan Social Club, a groovy café and bar fitted out in 70’s décor. Try either the savoury or sweet fondue for something a little bit different.
Thinking of planning a romantic escape to Christchurch?
Romance certainly lies in the little extras and with our “Love Is In The Air” accommodation package you can enjoy your special stay in Christchurch knowing that the important parts are taken care of.